Sunday, November 15, 2009

Casting cost: 3 "awesome" mana

I just got to play a game of Magic: The Gathering on XBox Live with Wil Wheaton! What a blast! Wil was... great. It was very casual, and fun. They had 6 Magic-playing celebrities, including Wil, playing "just folks" who had signed up earlier. The others included Richard Garfield, the inventor of the game, and Darwin Kastle, who's apparently enough of a Magic god that they put his face on one of the cards (Avalanche Riders). [edit: apparently they also put his face on it because, well, he designed the card.] However, of all the pros who were there, Wil was the one I wanted most to play with--and not only because he's the only one I had a chance of beating! I really enjoyed playing with him, and chatting with him. We talked about the game he had just played, I fanboy-gushed a little (not too much, really!), and we talked about our families, which was nice, and one of the things that makes reading his blog such a pleasure. (Oh, and Wil, if you're reading this, my copy of "Happiest Days" was where I thought it was after all... and I'm number 54.)

I said this to Wil, but I don't know if he believed me: Just before he invited me to play, I had gotten an invite from Richard Garfield... which I was too stupid to remember how to accept. He pinged me twice, while I pushed buttons,trying to remember how to accept the invite. By the time I had figured it out, he had moved on. I was disappointed, because... Richard Garfield! But then, just 5 minutes later, I got the invite from Wil, and I have to say, I was actually glad I had flubbed Richard -- because if I had been playing him, I probably wouldn't have gotten to play Wil. Sorry, Richard.

No comments: