Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hey! One in a row!

There are certainly worse places in the world to be posting your first NaBloPoMo entry from than the balcony of a hotel room overlooking the harbor on a Greek island. So I've got THAT going for me, which is nice.

I almost wasn't here today. We came down for a short trip, with an option to extend it. So when they decided to extend it, someone had the bright idea that, since I had come down here for the purpose of becoming "certified" in my duty position, and I had done so, maybe we should send me home and bring someone else down for a chance to certify.

This was both good and bad news for me. Good, because it would mean I could go home, and be with my wonderful family, all of whom I miss immensely. Bad, because, well, I've wanted to come on one of these trips for a while, and I'll be darned if I was going to let a single minute be taken away from me. But since I know that the smart thing to do would be, in fact, to send me home and give the other guy the chance, I was philosophical about it.

I spent three days on tenterhooks. (What, exactly, is a tenterhook, anyway?) Then they said that the guy who was going to come down, couldn't come down. So I get to stay. Again, good and bad news for me (see previous paragraph, in reverse).

Anyway, here I sit, with a cup of Greek coffee, no baklava, and an amazing view. Yup. It could be worse.

1 comment:

Susie J. said...

woohoo! You're on a roll!

I know what you mean about the good and bad of it all. I don't blame you for being a bit torn about whether to stay or go. But, now that the decision is made for you... enjoy the view and the food! My hubby brought home several new menu items for our family to become addicted to.