Saturday, December 1, 2007

The great conspiracy

December. I can't really believe it's here, which is strange, because for the last 2 weeks I've been thinking it's December already. We got the advent calendars set up for the kids, and the Christmas elf is lurking about. Christmas is, indeed, imminent.

I think I'm going to have to have "the talk" with David tomorrow. We were at the mall last weekend, and Lily was really psyched to see Santa in his grotto. At first, we thought that David was the one who had suggested it, but he didn't want to go. So Susie and Lily went into the grotto ("Approximate wait from here: 30 min") and, after exchanging significant glances with Susie, I took David off to see why he didn't want to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas.

"It's just, when you get to be my age, you figure out the secret," he said. And yes, that's an exact quote. But just to be sure, I asked, "What secret?"

"The secret of Santa's grottoes. It's just a man in a Santa suit in there, not the real Santa."

But we're just a small leap of logic away, aren't we? Is it better for me to take him aside and explain, or let him stew and figure it out? I know when I figured it out, I was afraid to mention it. I was afraid it would be the end of the goodness for me.

Yeah, I think it's time for the talk. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My boy took it pretty well ("I knew it!") but my girl cried. I never want to go thru THAT again! Plus, after that, there were rumors rampant on the playground that Santa did not exist. Coincidence? I wonder...