Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Life, the Universe, and... Tae Kwon Do?

OK, so I turned 42 this year. I should have all the answers (or, according to Douglas Adams, perhaps I should be the answer). So, riddle me this, Batman… Why on earth did I pick now to take up Tae Kwon Do? What was I thinking?

Ok, what I was thinking was, David started TKD last year. Susie and I wanted to find a physical activity for him that he liked and would stick with. He’s not much for team sports, so when we saw the class advertised, we asked if he’d be interested. He said yes, and we signed him up. A couple of weeks in, I suggested maybe I could join the class as well, and it could be a sort of father/son thing. He seemed to like the idea, but it was obvious he was torn. We eventually puzzled out that maybe he didn’t care so much to be “in competition” with me, and if we were both in the same class, I would (by virtue of age and general experience) be “better” than he was. So I offered him a deal: I’d start, but not until after he had his second grading, for yellow belt.

Well, he just got his yellow belt. (*EDIT: THIS LINK POINTS TO THE FORMERLY NEW AND NOW NEWLY FORMER HOME OF THIS BLOG. THE PIC SHOULD STILL BE THERE, THOUGH)

No comments: